Letting go of heirloom jewelry can be such an overwhelming thought we often choose not to “go there.” When we fail to consider letting go of heirloom jewelry because of the emotions involved, these valuable heirlooms often languish, unworn and unappreciated in armoires in our bedrooms or bank safe deposit boxes. When that happens, nobody benefits.
Five Challenges When Selling Family Jewelry
Let’s choose to think about letting go of heirloom jewelry for a moment and address the emotions that may be holding you back:
- Guilt: Feeling guilty about parting ways with heirloom jewelry is not the way to honor the giver’s legacy. The giver wants you to feel joy surrounding the jewelry – that is why they choose you to receive it. If you don’t feel joy, the piece belongs to someone who does.
- Fear: We sometimes refuse to part with heirloom jewelry (even though we really want to) because we fear the giver will be forgotten. It’s important to remember that if the giver is deceased, their memory is not found in the actual object, but the memories found within us.
- Sadness: There are times when personal finances or the state of the economy dictate that we must sell our heirloom jewelry. These decisions can be particularly tough, but there are ways to capture the pieces so you can hold onto their memories. You can write down remembrances you have of the giver or the piece itself so their history can endure through the generations. Additionally, you can take nice photos of the jewelry (perhaps with you wearing it) to have an endearing, physical image of the pieces.
- Selfishness: You may feel selfish because you wish to sell your heirloom jewelry to fund a big-ticket purchase or experience, such as a vacation, college classes, a car or a down payment on a house. This is not being selfish; this is putting your economic need and/or joy ahead of a material object. Your happiness is a gift you can return to your giver or giver’s memory via their generosity.
- Uncertainty: A final emotion preventing you from letting go of heirloom jewelry is often the uncertainty of how to begin the process. You don’t know where to go and you fear being taken advantage of. Here at MJ Gabel, we are happy to discuss all your options with you and help navigate the selling process for you with the utmost professionalism and trust. We are a family-owned and operated business and will always take the time to answer your questions or concerns. Our goal is to find the best possible option for your unique situation.
To get started selling your heirloom jewelry, please feel free to call us directly at (585) 598-1090 or email us at email@example.com We look forward to hearing from you and working with you to sell your heirloom jewelry in the most equitable, professional and comfortable manner possible.